Friday, May 2, 2008

Wake Up Slow..

I'm not one of those people who can just sleep until noon. When my alarm goes off..I either wake up in a daze, press snooze and fall back to sleep until the alarm goes off again..or I'm awake and ready to start the day. Once I'm awake..I'm awake..and I figure I might as well get up and get going..if I lie in bed any longer I'll just fall back asleep and never get going..

But lately I've had late starts..which of course means that I don't get to bed very early..but that's okay..because I don't need to get up nearly as early as I have been..

So today my alarm went off..and I drowsily hit the snooze button a few times..

I've now physically MOVED my alarm clock to the other side of the bedroom because if it's on my night table I hit it while I'm still half asleep and have been known to turn it off while still half asleep and then never wake up and be late..whoops! So I have to ACTUALLY sit up, get out of bed, put my feet on the cold floor (which is a rather rude awakening in itself) and walk (leap?) a few steps before I can reach the snooze button. Because the weather lately has been rather chilly..the last few steps of my hitting the snooze button has included bolting back to my bed, jumping under the covers and snuggling back into whatever dream I had been having.

But this morning...by about the fourth time..I hit the silly alarm..and then jumped back into bed..I was awake. Okay, so not REALLY awake. But semi awake...and even before the snooze button could go off again..I was drifting in and out of consciousness..but instead of just either forcing myself to close my eyes and capture a few more minutes of precious sleep, or forcing myself to get up and get started with my day..I just sort of lay there. The air in the room was frigidly cold with this ridiculous weather we've been having..and I could hear the pitter patter of raindrops on the roof..but I was deliciously warm and comfortable snuggled up in my blankets..

As I lay there..the alarm now turned off, just waking up slowly..I came to the conclusion that THAT is one of the BEST ways to wake up. To drift back and forth between awake and asleep..to wake up rested and refreshed..not forcing yourself to get out of bed..but slowly climitizing yourself to the day and allowing yourself to wake up slowly and enjoy waking up..instead of it being a chore.

And now instead of feeling tired and worn out..I'm awake, rested and ready to go. I'm excited to start my day..I feel refreshed..like today is really going to be a GOOD day. WOOHOO!

It doesn't hurt that it's Friday...which means WEEKEND!!! YAAAAAAAY!

2 comments:

Shop Girl* said...

Mmmmmm that is one of my most favourite things to do in the entire world. I also am best friends with my snooze button. I always set my alarm earlier than I need it because I can never get out of bed with just one buzzing.

...but on those mornings when you set it, wake up and realize that whether or not you decide to get out of your bed is YOUR choice and not because there are things to do and places to be.... those are the mornings I love. I heart hitting the snooze and getting to stay in bed. :)

Erin said...

Haha - I do the same thing..I need to be out of bed by 7:30? Alarm is set for 7 at the latest..haha!

Tis quite a lovely feeling :)