Thursday, May 29, 2008

En Francais SVP

Tonight I had the joy of going to my eleven year old cousins class production of a modern day 'Romeo and Juliet'. The class had been studying the middle east and the conflicts there..and as such they took a rather interesting slant on Romeo and Juliet with the whole idea of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict..Generally it went very well, they acted and worked their little butts off and I really enjoyed myself..even though the entire production was 'en francais' and my french is..well..weak! I understood enough to get by, and I did know at least a vague outline of the play..so that helped!

It was really nice though, to be a part (even if only a small audience member part) of something that these cousins are a part of. For so many reasons there always seem to always be reason that we don't interact as much as I would like...so it was really refreshing to have the chance to go to something of theirs and see them..and I know that J was really happy that I was there and was BEAMING when I told her that I really liked the show and that I thought her acting was awesome (which it so rightly..was!)

So on just the surface, I enjoyed myself immensely..but then as I am sitting here..I'm thinking about all of the effort that went into making this show successful. It's an amazing amount of work..the play is adapted by the teacher in charge..depending on the students and the resources and yadda yadda. They have a million and one props that are hand made, borrowed, bought or pled for...sets which are hand painted..lines which are rehearsed over and over again..and a million other minute details that are done. And as I was standing there tonight, I realized how much time, effort, love and patience has gone into this production..and how worth it it was to these kids..the fact that they brought this to life..was just..amazing..and it was all because they had an amazing teacher to help them and guide them into where they needed to be so that they could reach the potential they have..

It really hit home for me then..even though I didn't understand every single word, even though there were those little 'oops' moments where someone goofed...forgot a line or the wrong song played..they were all insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Those kids aren't going to remember the nitty gritty details of their math lesson or their english lesson..but they'll always remember putting together this grand production, working as a team and accomplishing something that they're incredibly proud of. It reinstilled in me what I want to be as a teacher, what I NEED to be as a teacher. I had become so worn down by all of the people who are out there..doing what they do simply for the paycheck, not for the love of it. Not because they really CARE. Teaching is about caring..teaching is about making a difference..and that's what this teacher did for his students..he gave them tools, resources and a way to become confident in their abilities to not only showcase themselves, but also to work together as a cohesive team. You could tell by the looks on those kids faces that they WORSHIPED him..because he respected them and cared enough to put his heart and soul into doing something meaningful for those kids. That's the kind of teacher I'm aiming to be..that's what I've always wanted to be..it's those moments when it suddenly hits you...that the smiles on those kids faces as they took their final bow..that is why I want to do more, to be more..they're why I want to make a difference.

The language barrier may have been there..but when it came down to it..it language itself was relatively insignificant. Me being there wasn't REALLY about the play, sure on one level it was..but seeing what amazing teachers can do when they put their heart and soul into something..that's what I feel as though I was meant to see..to know that it really can and does happen..and that I cannot let myself be discouraged and that with a little (a lot?) of strength..I can eventually become the teacher I want to be..and do an amazing job doing it. Faith in the teaching profession is on the path to restoration..now all I need to do is find my place, my niche, on that path..one step at a time :)

3 comments:

Shop Girl* said...

This gives me hope. I live for "realization" moments like these... I'm glad you found out. :)

Veggie Carrie said...

Totally amazing that these 11-year olds did a political adaptation of Shakespeare in French! It sounds very tough, whatever the age. I admire that teacher, and them for being able to pull it off.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the comment!

I looked around and I like your blog a lot too! Thanks so much and I liked your realization!!!