Monday, April 7, 2008

Captured Memories

The last few days I've been thinking about life..

About how I spend so much time and energy being upset over things I cannot control. And even when I can control things..if I just changed my perspective slightly..it'd all end up working out. Life has this ridiculously funny way of just..working out.

I just want to embrace and capture the fun more. There is so much in life that should be enjoyed..and I think that as a whole..the general population tends to forget to do this far too often.

Despite whatever happens..despite whatever life brings..whether it be good days or bad ones..life is still going to go on. It's still going to keep on keeping on. And it really doesn't make any sense what-so-ever to muddle around being upset about the little things..that in a grand scheme of things are so ridiculously insignificant. Might as well make the best of what you've got and what you can do with what you've got.

I think that a lot of this stemmed from the fact that I got some pictures developed today. And for the first time in years..they weren't photos of the digital variety. They were OLD SCHOOL. And I'm not even talking like..from a point and shoot..no sirree..they were from an old DISPOSABLE camera. That kind of old school.

And they weren't of anything spectacular. The quality was poor..and the pictures were nothing to write home about. They weren't the most funny pictures of the best pictures of a night out that I've ever taken. But they captured everything. There were no retakes..there were no do-overs. Everyone was just..real. The moment was captured..the happiness, the ridiculousness, the sillies, the EVERYTHING. The atmosphere shows through in these pictures and makes me long for another one of those nights. I think that the reason that I love these so much is that despite the fact that they're not perfectly centred or focused or even all extremely amusing..is that they're real. The captured us as we truly were..there was no saying 'AHH! DELETE DELETE!' after the photo was taken..and then a meager attempt to recreate the moment. The moment was just..there. Whether people liked the angle of their face or the way their hair was or WHATEVER other ridiculous things we insist upon obsessing over..the picture was captured..for better or for worse. The moment was stuck..it was captured..and whatever was being felt at the moment was captured as well. I think that the reason that I love them so much is that they're real. They've managed to capture the essence of what I love most about my friends and about the silly times we've had..they managed to capture us at our best, our worst..and everything in between. And really, that's what life is all about.


And yet again..as I'm wrapping up this post..a random song that I haven't heard in FOREVER comes blaring over my speakers from the random eclectic stash of music I horde upon this computer..so I'll leave it with the verse from these lyrics that is just..fitting.


It won't be long before it's another day...
We're gonna have a good time...
No one's gonna take that time away..

No comments: