Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Another Blog, Another Day

The internet is a rather funny place.

It can be a terrifying place full of people pretending to be people they're not. There are people who just generally aren't nice people who exist in the wide realm of the cyber world. It is these people who ruin it for those of us who try to be generally nice people who are also floating around out there in the lovely place that is the world wide web.

At the same time though, the internet can be a place where people can really be themselves. They don't need to hide behind insecurities and fears and those pesky little (wonderful) flaws that we all have. It's almost easier to be yourself online under the premise of anonymity (or even partial anonymity) beacuse at the click of a button anyone who you no longer fancy can be rid from your life with little or no consequence.

Now, this isn't to say that you can't be yourself in the 'real world'. Because clearly our society has existed for thousands of years being able to exist without the help of the internet and it's only within the past decade or so that we've had this crazy new source of technology. For some people though.. (myself included) it's a lot easier to be yourself when you don't feel the pressure from outside sources to fit in and 'be cool'. The internet has always been a place where I can just simply be me..and I like that. I can sit in my pj's on a Saturday morning and update about how I don't know what I'm going to do with my life or where I'm going to be in 20 years. I can write about walks in the park or lollipops or whatever else happens to pop into my head. And from there, people have the option to respond or not respond..and it really doesn't matter either way. It's not like having a conversation with people where you're required to follow proper conversation techniques. People are allowed to read at their own pace, re-read, think before they speak and ignore the topic completely if they so desire when participating in blogging, they're not forced to respond immeadiately, or even at all if they so desire. Granted, I do have a lovely group of friends who I couldn't live without and depend on in the real world to listen to me at those times when I do need someone to participate in a real conversation. I have to admit though, there is just something about always having my own seperate online world to run to when the real world becomes too much to handle that is rather comforting and nice.

Now what happens when those two worlds meet though?

Where do we go from there?

It's an interesting thought that has been plaguing my thoughts for the last few hours when I really should have been more productive than I was.

Oh thinking! Always getting in the way when you least expect it to!

2 comments:

Shop Girl* said...

Iiiiiii found you... I'm glad that you created a blog that I CAN see as your writing is fabulous!

And you know, I completely agree. I can't really say that I've known many people online until recently, but it's nice to have a place and people with whom I can truly just be... me. Even though I leave out so many personal details, in many ways I feel like the people who read about my life here know so much more about who I really am than many of those who know me in real life.

I'm glad I found you. I'll be sure to keep reading. :)

Erin said...

I thought that this was the easiest compromise..at least for now :) Although writing without giving away too many clues is quite difficult..but I do enjoy a good challenge :)

You would not believe how much I laughed at the writing is fabulous comment! If you could only hear the laughter! I've always thought of myself as a generally poor writer..which has probably played into my refusal to make my journal public. It's always been one of my larger challenges and it frustrates me to no end because I feel like I could do it well, but I just don't know enough. That and I can't write or type (despite writing and typing quite quickly) as fast as my little brain wants to go..If I could dictate everything I would be a happy happy girl!

It's funny how the internet works sometimes..There are definitely good aspects to it :)

Horray for finding each other :) It's funny how we could have went our entire lives just not really knowing anything about each other..and then through the power of randomish internet sites..we have the chance to become better friends..life is weird!