Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Friendship Glue

Friendships are like glue..There are some glues that hold for a long time, some glues that hold for a short time, and some glues that hold for no time at all. Sometimes the glue lasts longer than you expect..and sometimes something that is glued can be ripped off in a flash..it all depends on the type of glue and how you use it.

Over the years many friends have came in and out of my life. There have been friends of all walks of life who have at some point walked in (and sometimes out..) of my life..but in one way or another..they have all touched my life in some shape or form.

There have been some friends who have stuck around through everything. There have been some 'friends' who have stuck around through nothing..There have been some friends that have been around for years..and newer friends who have been around for a lot less time. There are some friends who are good at listening, and others who are good when you are the listener. There are some who are good for going out and having fun..and others who are good for a quiet night at home. Some I have everything in common with..others I have little in common with..Some I have more in common with than I would have ever assumed..but have remained more acquaintances than friends for reasons unknown. There are some that are quick friends (the glue from a hot glue gun?) and others that start out as friends of friends..or simply acquaintances...but slowly turn into some of the best friends you've ever had (That glue stick that sits in your desk drawer that you forget to use until three years later you finally pull it out and accomplish so many amazing projects with!) But there is always that constant glue that holds us together. Some unspoken connection or bond that has made through the crossing of our life paths...

There are many people who I know from my younger days who are not really friends at all..but people who have passed through my life at one point or another. Like when your teacher made you share the glue in the classroom..it wasn't really YOURS..but you used it anyways.. When I was younger, most of my friends weren't friends who stayed around, they were friends more of..convenience. I either didn't know, wouldn't admit or had no options (think: small town, peer pressure, etc.) for a variety of friends..so instead I was friends with people that when I look back on it now..I have little to nothing in common with. We MADE things in common with each other..but our interests and loves and passions did not tie us together..the material of our friendship was merely thin threads instead of distinct weaves..

Loosing touch with some people has made me cry at times..the years of friendship..and then that broken connection..it can be heartbreaking...It's like finding out that you worked for years putting something together..and then suddenly it all falls apart...the glue just doesn't stick anymore. I remember the first time that a friend slipped away..especially into the 'wrong crowd'. I sat and cried on the kitchen floor to my Mom for HOURS when the realization of that came crushing down..but then there have been others who also fell into that 'crowd'..and it didn't really affect me...It wasn't such a big deal..and their loss of friendship went over without too much ado...it was as if their glue wasn't as strong..they weren't as connected to me..so their breaking away wasn't felt nearly as much.

But then...I still have that group of friends from years ago who I can still keep in touch with and still communicate with and visit and catch up with after months (and sometimes years..) of not speaking..and we still have some sort connection left..a deeper bond that keeps us together. They're my super glue friends. The ones who always come bouncing back when you least expect them to.

It seems that life goes in cycles..for me at least. I go into something..a life experience of sorts (thus far in life..mostly schooling of sorts) and I make all sorts of friends and acquaintances..and then that experience is over..and I begin my journey to the next adventure my life has to bring..and I loose most of those people. It's not that I necessarily MEAN for this to happen..but it just..does. It just has become a natural transition. People drift, move, have adventures of their own..live their lives. It's then that I realize how little we actually had in common..and our relationship..our friendship..was based largely on circumstances. We knew the same people and did the same things..we were having similar experiences..so we could relate and co-exist. And during this time in our lives..it was helpful to have these people, these similar beings who were able to commiserate and understand and be a part of your life.

But then I look at the people that I stay in touch with from those times..and I look around me at the people who I keep. And suddenly, as I get older, I see this wonderful group of amazing individuals who I truly have something in common with. With each new life experience I gain new people and new resources in my life..but I still keep the most important ones with me. Those 'friends for life'..who even if you don't talk to every minute of every day..even if they don't know all of the minute details of your life..they still know the big things. And more importantly, you know that no matter what..they'll always be there with a smile, a hug and a helping hand no matter the circumstances...

It's rather comforting to realize that I've created this entire support network of amazing people who I love to death..it's not huge..it's not fancy..but they love me for me..and will always be there for me..no matter what.

I guess that's what they really are..my no matter what friends. They're the ones that have been there through it all..the good, the bad, the ugly. The random, the funny..the tears and the smiles. The ones who you can sit with for hours talking..never running out of things to talk about with..and even when you're too exhausted to talk anymore..the mere presence of their being is comforting. When it all comes down to it..they're the glue that holds everything together..and really..who doesn't love some good glue?

4 comments:

Veggie Carrie said...

That's lovely. It is interesting and something I often think about -how some friendships stick like super glue and others come unstuck too soon (not that I have ever thought of that analogy before, but it's a good one).

I have been moving around a lot, and the challenge is keeping some kind of tie with those friends who I move away from. Losing contact with some of my good friends has really saddened me, it is especially difficult when they live so far away (e.g. a different country) to keep contact. I think moving around does show you who your good friends really are, like you say those special 'super glue' friends who you are always there for & make the effort to keep in contact with no matter what.

Shop Girl* said...

I really really liked this concept of friendship glue... I hadn't ever thought of it quite like that before. I thought I'd share one of my all-time favourite quotes as I think it fits with the theme of your post:

"The Mile: People come into our lives and walk with us a mile, and then because of circumstance they only stay a while. They serve a need within the days that move so quickly by, and then are gone beyond our reach, we often wonder why. God only knows the reason that we meet and share a smile, why people come into our lives and walk with us a mile." *Unknown

H said...

Stumbled on your blog via Veggie Carrie, so "hello"!
I read this postcard yesterday. It said "true friends are friends who like you, even though they know you well". I thought it was apt. A few years ago I stopped contact with what I would call "toxic friends" - friendships that have lingered on since school, people who make you feel bad about yourself. I now have lovely friends who always make me feel better about myself. But my best friend is my husband and that's great!

Erin said...

veggie carrie - I think that moving and changing places and courses of your life is most definitely one of the truest tests of friendships.

shop girl* - I'm glad you liked the concept..I'm rather fond of random ridiculous analogies. Thanks for the quote..it did fit most perfectly.

h - Thanks for stopping by! That quote is SO true - it's became even more true for me in the last few days..thanks for sharing it! I'm glad you've rid yourself of your toxic friends..it's hard to do that cut..but in the long run..ends up being so much better for your mental health and overall sanity :)