Sunday, March 9, 2008

Snow & Sightings

It seems that the last few days have been far too busy for my liking..I would have prefered to stay indoors during the outrageous joke mother nature has decided to call weather and dump upon us, but alas..I always seemed to be braving the elements for one thing or another.

The last few days have been filled with interesting souls coming here and coming there..and since I'm typically a people watcher by nature, I (as I always do when there are people to watch around) enjoyed myself.

Let's recap with a couple of my favourite recent people sightings:

(Please note that recent people sightings may but most likely do not include your favourite celebrities as I live in the middle of nowhere..despite this though..they still made me smile!)


1) The first takes us to the joys of public transit. People on regular public transit (not student public transit like I'm use to) are typically not very exciting...at least I don't find them to be. Most are sitting by themselves keeping quiet and thinking, reflecting or sleeping. Their thoughts are filled with the days behind them and the days to come...nothing rather enjoyable..just boring old life. There is little excitement in getting from one place to another by most adults..but that's when I look around for the child nearby..because they will always be the most amusing for me to watch. Yesterday it was a mother with her daughter who were traveling to see a show/production/etc. of sorts..what I'm not exactly sure..but that is beyond the point. The little girl was cute..probably around 6 or 7. And she was so excited that she could not keep still. It was as if she ACTUALLY had ants in her pants. Every two seconds she would jump up and ask if they were there yet, or ask where we were now or she would just generally bounce around making up words of her own smiling and giggling the entire time we were moving. It was a rather cute display of excitment and it reminded me of being excited and happy and just generally content with life..instead of feeling as though I had to rush from one place to another and not stop to enjoy the little things or just be excited about the destination. I think that we as adults forget that as we get older..we forget how to really have fun and enjoy ourselves and how to let go of all of our problems and all of our daily stress and just be excited about the little things and think about the destination in mind.

2) My second people watching incident took place outside this time. It was on a quiet sidestreet where there are few people and fewer cars. The houses are modest and the neighbourhood is typically elderly or students..as seems to be the case for the vast majority of this little town. As I was standing there, I saw a young man with a young little girl walking down the street. The little girl was quite little (probably around two at the most) and was wearing the most adoreable brown and pink snowsuit. Because she was so bundled up she actually looked like a starfish. I stiffled a chuckle as I watched her wobble down the street, the layers of her clothing so packed on that she could hardle manage to move. As she continued to walk along side what I will presume is her Dad..I watched her look up at him and say something..and then in a matter of seconds she flopped down from her standing position on the sidewalk to sitting in the snowbank beside her. I chuckled to myself and thought that she must have been tired from walking..and was sort of half watching to see if her father would pick her up and start to carry her. But before I could even finish thinking this thought, she had flopped again onto her back, with her legs straight out. She slowly started to move her arms and then abruptly stopped and stuck out her arms asking to be pulled out of the snowbank. She turned around and looked at her impromtu snow angel, giggled and clapped her mitten covered hands in joy and stared up at her Dad with this 'Daddy's little girl' smile on her face.

So I expected them to move on and continue to walk..but the little girl was so enthralled that she had been able to make a snow angel that she walked two steps, stopped and repeated the process...but this time was the kicker..instead of just watching..the Dad also dropped into the snowbank (someone elses front lawn!) and started to make his OWN snow angel. The little girl giggled with excitement and together they made snowangels randomly as they continued to walk down the street.

It was an absolutely adoreable little exchange to watch..and was completely refreshing to think that maybe, just maybe, our generation still has some precious gems in it. People that aren't afraid to giggle with their children and get snowy and wet to connect with and play with the kids around them. I will always remember that look on the little girls face having her Daddy wrapped around her little finger..the love and the joy from being able to spend those few precious moments with just the two of them..being free and happy..I'm sure that she won't remember that exact moment when she grows up..she was so young that I would really doubt that she would..but I have no doubt that she'll have years of happy memories similar to this one made because someone took the time out to just love her for no other reason then the fact that she is who she is..

In general guys with children make my heart melt. Actually. I see them..and then suddenly it's as though nothing else in the entire world matters and all I can hear is the 'tha thump, tha thump' of my maternal clock beating a million miles a minute and I'm like 'Must. Resist. Urge. To. Have. Children. Right. Now.' It was just too cute for words..and made my heart into an actual puddle..just lying there in the middle of the street. Now if only said cuteness could melt all of this ridiculous snow away..then I would REALLY be a happy girl.

1 comment:

Shop Girl* said...

I'm also a people watcher... I'm on the bus a lot between school and work and I love seeing the different styles, mannerisms, and expressions that people do / make when they think no one is watching. That probably makes me sound like a TOTAL creeper, but I just enjoy seeing things like the relationship between that man you saw and his daughter... stuff like that is heart-warming and puts my faith back in the people of the world. :)