Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Generation In Crisis...Too Little Too Late?

Disclaimer - This is not intended to attack people of my generation..but seriously..look around you and open your eyes..make sure you're a part of the solution..instead of the problem.


Do you ever have days where you just don't GET people? Or weeks where you're just like..I think that people have taken every single one of my pet peeves and are slowly checking off their list to ensure that they do them all just to tick me off as fully as humanly possible! It just seems as though every time I turn around this week I'm irritated by someone doing something that I just don't understand. I hate not understanding peoples logic for doing something or for behaving a certain way. It's beyond frustrating to watch over and over again.

I think that a lot of my frustration stems from my generation. There is a severe crisis in my generation and no one can fix it. Not that anyone is even brave enough to try. I doubt at this point that it could be fixed even if someone dared to try. There are a lot of things about my generation that I like...it's obviously not all bad! There are definitely things that I couldn't imagine living without but, I'm convinced most of the time that I was born in a completely wrong era. I just cannot handle the way that people insist on behaving..I just don't GET it. The vast majority of the time I see people my own age and I sit there and cringe and look away in embarrassment for belonging to the same 'group' as them.

I just really don't get this work ethic that my generation has. You know the one I'm talking about..the one where people think that they can do as little work possible and reap the most reward possible. We're obsessed with the quick fixes where everything comes easy and if it doesn't it can be bought for a cheaper price somewhere else anyways. My generation doesn't actually want to DO anything..they just want everything handed to them. Plain and simple..we're spoiled. At least the vast majority of us are..and even if we were not spoiled in the typical sense by our parents growing up...most people still have such a horrible work ethic ingrained in them that is the spoiled I'm talking about. People don't want to do anything that actually requires effort or any form of work...or any responsibility! That would just be asking far too much!

Basically what it comes down to is that people are lazy. Why do something when you don't have to? Why put effort into anything? Why bother doing anything that doesn't HAVE to be done and goes above and beyond what is expected? That would just be absurd!

And to go even further..why would anyone ever bother to have consideration for the people around them?! That's just crazy talk..I can hear you thinking that as you read this! Why would you ever think about the ripple effects your actions have on someone else?! As long as #1 is taken care of..that's all that matters..right?

It just blows my mind that (basically, with a few exceptions..and even then..) an entire generation of people have this self serving attitude that they're so much better than anyone else and deserve special treatment and shouldn't have to actually do anything to get the things they want out of life. I'm not even talking about people who are typically wealthy or come from a background of having a lot of things..I'm talking about 99% of my generation. Let's call in sick because I want to dick off and do nothing..I'll show up 2 seconds before my shift starts at work...Instead of growing balls and calling to say I've quit I'll just screen my calls and not show up until they clue in...(I've seen it happen so many times..so you can't even pretend that it doesn't happen!) There is just so much shit that goes on that I cannot believe that people pull...and it's become socially acceptable! How has that even happened!? How is our society ever going to function with a generation that's so incredibly lazy and irresponsible?!

I'm rather afraid for the future..I can see it now..an entire generation lying on the couch calling in to work sick and then wondering why suddenly the entire economy and all of their money has disappeared.

I need to go back to a time where people actually cared and were invested in their work and their lives...I feel like that's missing from my life..and as much as I try to personally put this into my work/school/LIFE..it's rather draining when you're one of the few who is actually attempting to do this. I just feel like people have learned all of these horrendous habits and don't have an actual work ethic behind them anymore..they just want that quick fix that our society is so focused upon so that they can do what makes them happy. Newsflash..life isn't always happiness, sunshine and rainbows! I know it comes as a surprise..but things don't always go the way you want them to just because you want them to. Just because you want to be a certain way and be rolling in the big bucks without ever leaving the comfort of your own bed doesn't mean that that's the way it will be..or even the way life SHOULD be. Life is hardwork and it takes a lot to be a contributing meaningful member of society...and to be quite honest..I don't think that most youth actually give a damn about even trying to do anything but making money. It's a really pathetic a total and complete reflection of the way that these generations are being taught how to behave. The morals and values that I feel like I have in regards to work and doing things just don't seem to be as present as they were in previous generations..and it's really disheartening to think about.

But really, why would they bother? As long as they can go on nice warm vacations, buy their fancy new electronics and STILL manage to bitch about how their minimum wage job doesn't pay nearly enough for them to sit on their asses and complain about how they're not being paid enough (probably while they're at work..not doing what they SHOULD be doing.) Then really why does it matter? Why bother? Why put in any sort of effort!?

Now I understand that SOME people DO all of their work and then are waiting around for more work and HAVE free time at work..but in all likelihood..that probably exists for such a small portion of people that it's relatively irrelevant. I'm not trying to pinpoint anyone in particular or say that you're bad if you do any of these things...I'm guilty of a few of them as well..I'm definitely no saint! But just think about it..how frustrating would it be if YOU were paying someone to do a job for YOU..and instead of doing the job they decided to play online games or chat on the phone 24/7 to their friends or just NOT show up for work because they were too hungover or just plum didn't feel like it..ugh!

Sorry for the bitterness..it's just been one of those days where I resent being associated with people my own age because of peoples inability to think, pure laziness and general stupidity.

2 comments:

Shop Girl* said...

Bad day?? :(

It's so funny that you wrote this... this is something I struggle with all the time. My sister and I always talk about how we were born in the wrong generation--I'm pretty positive I belong in a time of big bands, hope for the future, and those days
people still believed in respect for themselves and others. Now that I have been working in a school for 2 years I can see just how much things have changed from when I was a child to now... it is disheartening, but then I just have to remind myself why I want to be a teacher--if I can inspire just ONE person to set goals work hard and achieve them then I think I will be satisfied. Change has to start somewhere... why not with me?

It just sucks that things have changed for the worse (in my opinion) in recent years.

Erin said...

It was more just a frustrated day..but they seem to be ever constant these days..ugh!

I think that we should probably make a time machine and go back to a time when everything was a little simplier and just..different..okay? okay. :)